Sunday, January 08, 2012

A Message From God


copyright 2012, Aaron Paul Lazar

My wife almost died on New Years Eve.

I've been married to Dale for 30 years, and we've been together forever even before we were married. We've been soul mates from the beginning, and I can hardly remember a day when we weren't side by side.

Life has been good to us in multiple ways. We always loved horses, and before we had our children, we enjoyed many years of wonderful rides in the rolling hills of the Genesee Valley. We'd canter through the fields, the old canal path, and thrilled to the beauty of nature, frequently satisfying our primal urge to explore.

Our biggest blessing, however, was the gift of our three beautiful daughters. And now we've been equally blessed with four wonderful grandchildren.

But life has also been fraught with a fair share of challenges. One of these is Dale's MS. She was diagnosed in 1990, and has suffered a great deal in the past few decades.

On Christmas, 2011, I contracted the worst virus of my life. It was like a cold, but it also gave me fevers, chills, total exhaustion, and I ended up with bronchitis and a sinus infection. I missed the whole Christmas vacation, and ended up infecting Dale, whose lungs succumbed. It turned into pneumonia, and on New Year's Eve, right in the middle of the family dinner/game night, her breathing suddenly got terrible and we had to call the ambulance to bring her to the hospital.

In the ED she was diagnosed with pneumonia and sepsis. She almost died that night. We had to make decisions about "do not resuscitate," and other horrible options.

But my dear survived, after many hours of worry. The next day, she was in the ICU. That evening she had a "dream" that felt so much more real than any dream she's ever had, we're calling it a vision. She can't stop talking about it.

Life for Dale in general was filled with suffering, and no matter what new meds we tried or what alternative solutions we went after, there seemed to be no solution to her symptoms. She's always believed in God and Heaven, but I knew she was feeling rather forsaken over the past decade.

She doesn't feel this way anymore...

During this startlingly real vision, Dale traveled through a dark tunnel. "It wasn't scary. It was peaceful and warm," she said. At the end of the tunnel, she was met by a brilliant, warm light. (I know, you've heard about this from others. Guess this is another confirmation that it really happens!)

"It was so overwhelming, I felt like I was being embraced by God, but it wasn't just an outward hug, His whole being went into mine, and I felt Him become one with me. I couldn't see Him, it was just pure, warm light. I felt so peaceful, more so than I ever have in life. I could see things clearly, not like in this life where all the colors are dull to me. The colors were brilliant, vivid, and beautiful. I felt like He enveloped me with His love, that His whole being came into mine, comforting me. I have never felt so wonderful in my entire life, and I didn't want to leave Him, it felt so good."

She said at one point she got a glimpse of Hell, a dark and scary place. At first she was afraid she'd go there, but then she got her hug from God. She also glimpsed something incredibly beautiful on the sides of the light - she vaguely remembers colorful, riotous gardens.

This one amazing moment in her life -- something she's needed for a long time -- told her so much. "God is giving me strength to carry on. I felt Him urging me to take care of myself, to do the right things for my body. And now I know that when this life is over, I will be with Him. There's nothing to be afraid of now. We're preparing to join Him in what will be our ultimate reward. It's so comforting, because you know what's there for you afterwards."

Dale is not a super religious person. She doesn't go to church. She doesn't read the Bible. She's pretty much isolated from society, due to her illness. But she's always lived her life with true Christian values. She shows great strength and compassion. She has amazing empathy for others, and she never asks for anything except lots of good books to read.

In the past few years, she's been horribly depressed, always asking, "why is this happening to me?" and never receiving any answers. She's also usually more of a skeptic than believer when it comes to miracles. But this experience changed her completely.

Now we both know - no matter what happens in this life, it's just the beginning, just the trial we endure before we reach our true life, the one where God holds us in his embrace, where beautiful gardens abound, and where we will feel the most wonderful, blossoming joy and happiness that it all will have been worth it.

I'll never forget the expression on Dale's face when she told me about this - she couldn't stop talking about it, she was enthused, inspired, her eyes alight. I've never seen her like this, and the strength and power of His message has stayed with her.

No, it wasn't a dream. It was so much more than that; it was a message from God.

"Hang in there," He told her. "You can do this. I am here for you."

She wants everyone to hear about her experience, and I'm happy to be her voice.

Heaven is real. God is waiting. And I, for one, am looking forward to it. Especially if those gardens don't grow weeds. ;o)


***


Aaron Paul Lazar writes to soothe his soul. The award-winning and bestselling Kindle author of three addictive mystery series, Aaron enjoys the Genesee Valley countryside in upstate New York, where his characters embrace life, play with their dogs and grandkids, grow sumptuous gardens, and chase bad guys. Visit his website at www.legardemysteries.com and watch for his upcoming Twilight Times Books releases, ESSENTIALLY YOURS (MAR 2012), TERROR COMES KNOCKING (FEB 2011), FOR KEEPS (MAY 2012), DON’T LET THE WIND CATCH YOU (APRIL 2012), and the author’s preferred editions of DOUBLE FORTÉ (FEB 2012) and UPSTAGED (JUNE 2012).


12 comments:

Nancy said...

I have no words other than "wow"!

Thank you for sharing this, Aaron, and thank Dale too. Very happy that you are both on the mend!

pat said...

Dearest Aaron,

Dale is blessed to have you as her voice because this account is so comforting and well...glorious...to hear! I am aware to a small degree, through our conversations, of Dale's physical trials all these years. How she has suffered and how frightened you must have all been when she became so gravely ill! As always, I marvel at your strength as you work, cook, garden and STILL find time to write so prolifically and so beautifully. I am not surprised that an abundant and colorful garden was the back drop for Dale's vision. I think that was God's way of surrounding her with you-so full of life and renewal.

As always, your words are a comfort. I continue to hide from mine. But have joined a blogging course and hope you will come visit!

Blessings to you and your entire family! And please tell Dale that I feel the warmth and comfort of God right now...through her. Through you.

Susan Whitfield said...

Aaron, I read this passage with goose flesh all over my body. What an incredible experience for Dale,and although I've never had the pleasure of meeting you in person, I feel close to you not only because you're also a writer, but also because of your belief in God. I send cyber hugs to you and Dale for many more wondrous experiences. Keep in touch, my friend, and thanks so much for sharing this story.

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Thank you, Nancy, Pat, and Susan.

Linda Nance said...

Aaron, I am so happy to hear that you are both doing better. My heart goes out to Dale as she lives each day and shows such courage. Chronic illness and problems are more than a person can fully understand unless they have suffered something similar. When you talk about being a Christian I do not believe it is how many times we can count that we go to church compared to what is in our hearts and lives we live. Dale sounds like such an exceptional woman and I am sure that God was sharing his love and insights of the next life because of his love for her and the kind of person she is. I have no doubt of the reality of what she experienced. I too have had times that were beyond full description with only words and I believe. I also believe in prayer. I will keep her and you in my prayers. Thank you for sharing.

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Thanks so much, Linda. God bless!

wendy wilson said...

As one who has endured much heartache this year, I say. "Amen!!!!"

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Thanks, Wendy. I've been following the saga of your dear little Mia since before she was born, and I know you are one of the strongest women in the world. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Sabrina Sumsion said...

Thank you for sharing this! I wish your wife a quick mend!

Dorothy James said...

Aaron, I only just found this. Late. I have been wondering a lot about you and what was happening to you. Now I know some of it. Thank you for writing this. It is an inspiration. And your wonderful wife. So much courage. And you too.

Keith Pyeatt, author of paranormal thrillers said...

Hate to learn how difficult the last decades have been, but what an incredible experience. Healing thoughts to Dale.

Keith

Aaron Paul Lazar said...

Thank you, Sabrina, Dorothy, and Keith. We both really appreciate your kind words. ;o)